News

Mitchell Nuisance Property Saved From Immediate Demolition

Photo: clipart.com


A nuisance property in Mitchell that was set to be demolished last week will remain standing for now.  The Mitchell City Council was updated on the situation last night.  City Attorney Justin Johnson told the council that the home, located at 414 South Montana Street, was issued an order to correct in late December due to unsanitary conditions.  The corrections were not made within the 14-day window that was allowed.  Johnson says the house was to be demolished last Tuesday, but the property owner called him wanting an opportunity to clean the house.  Johnson will initiate a civil suit and ask a judge to issue an order of abatement to minimize the city’s risk should there be forced removal of the resident to carry out the demolition.  Johnson says he believes the situation will be resolved quickly.

 

Recent Headlines

3 hours ago in Sports

Fernando Mendoza throws a pick-6, struggles in 1st half of Raiders’ 22-20 preseason win over Texans

Top pick Fernando Mendoza is finding out quickly that he has a lot of work to do as he begins his NFL career. Mendoza struggled in his second preseason game, throwing an interception that Houston returned for a touchdown before the Las Vegas Raiders rallied late for a 22-20 victory over the Texans on Thursday night.

3 hours ago in Lifestyle

Fall books: Fiction takes the spotlight in bookstores during the midterm season

Midterm election news will fill the headlines this fall, but, among book buyers, fiction will likely have top billing.

6 hours ago in Local

TRAFFIC ALERT: Mitchell Street Department to Fog Seal Several Roads

The Mitchell Street Department will fog seal several city roads Friday, Aug. 21, requiring temporary two-hour closures. Residents are asked to remove vehicles by 7 a.m. and turn off automatic sprinkler systems.