News

3 arrested in Hong Kong, as a high-rise fire leaves at least 36 dead and 279 reported missing

3 arrested in Hong Kong, as a high-rise fire leaves at least 36 dead and 279 reported missing

Firefighters try to extinguish a flames engulfing a building after a fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories, Wednesday, Nov. 26 2025. (AP Photo/Chan Long Hei) Photo: Associated Press


By CHAN HO-HIM and KEN MORITSUGU Associated Press
HONG KONG (AP) — Police in Hong Kong arrested three men on suspicion of manslaughter, several local news media reported, in connection with a blaze that has killed at least 36 people and left another 279 missing in the city’s deadliest fire in years.
Hundreds of residents were evacuated as the fire which started on Wednesday afternoon, spread across seven of the eight high-rise apartment buildings in a housing complex in Tai Po district, a suburb in the New Territories. At least 29 others remained hospitalized. Bright flames and smoke shot out of windows as night fell.
Authorities said earlier that investigators would be looking into factors including whether material on the exterior walls of high-rise buildings met fire resistance standards, as the rapid spread of the fire was unusual.
Officials said the fire started on the external scaffolding of one of the buildings, a 32-storey tower, and later spread to inside the building and then to nearby buildings, likely aided by windy conditions.
Chinese leader Xi Jinping on Wednesday expressed condolences to the firefighter who died and extended sympathies to the families of the victims, according to state broadcaster CCTV. He also urged efforts to minimize casualties and losses.
The fire at three of the buildings was “coming under control” shortly past midnight, according to the Fire Services Department.
The housing complex consisted of eight buildings with almost 2,000 apartments housing about 4,800 residents, including many elderly people. It was built in the 1980s and had recently been undergoing a major renovation.
Fire chiefs said high temperatures at the scene made it difficult for crews to mount rescue operations. A column of flames and thick smoke rose as the blaze spread quickly on bamboo scaffolding and construction netting that had been set up around the exterior of the buildings. About 900 people were evacuated to temporary shelters.
Authorities said that hundreds of firefighters, police officers and paramedics were deployed. Firefighters aimed water at the intense flames from high up on ladder trucks.
The blaze, which started mid-afternoon, was upgraded a level 5 alarm — the highest level of severity — as night fell. Authorities said that conditions remained very challenging for firefighters.
“Debris and scaffolding of the affected buildings (is) falling down,” said Derek Armstrong Chan, deputy director of Fire Service operations. “The temperature inside the buildings concerned is very high. It’s difficult for us to enter the building and go upstairs to conduct firefighting and rescue operations.”
The fire department said that it received “numerous” calls requesting assistance. It said some residents remained trapped as of Wednesday night.
Firefighters deployed more than 140 fire trucks and more than 60 ambulances to the scene.
The dead included a 37-year-old firefighter, while another received treatment for heat exhaustion, Director of Fire Services Andy Yeung said.
District officials in Tai Po have opened temporary shelters for people left homeless by the fire.
“I’ve given up thinking about my property,” a resident who only provided her surname, Wu, told local TV station TVB. “Watching it burn like that was really frustrating.”
Tai Po is a suburban area in the New Territories, in the northern part of Hong Kong and near the border with the mainland Chinese city of Shenzhen.
Bamboo scaffolding is a common sight in Hong Kong at building construction and renovation projects, though the government said earlier this year that it would start phasing it out for public projects because of safety concerns.
The fire is the deadliest in Hong Kong in years. In November 1996, 41 people died in a commercial building in Kowloon in a level 5 fire that lasted for around 20 hours.
___
Moritsugu reported from Beijing. Researcher Shihuan Chen contributed to this report.

Recent Headlines

14 hours ago in Business, Education, Local

How to Make a Holiday Wreath: Simple Steps for a Festive DIY Decoration

holiday wreath DIY how to make a wreath Christmas wreath crafting evergreen wreath instructions holiday décor ideas DIY holiday crafts homemade Christmas decorations wreath-making guide winter crafting projects Mitchell holiday decor

Holiday wreaths are a seasonal favorite, and crafting one at home is easier than many people think. With a few basic materials and simple steps, anyone can build a custom wreath for the holidays.

2 days ago in Business, Crime, Local

U.S. Attorney: Meth Still South Dakota’s Most Serious Drug Threat

South Dakota drug problem methamphetamine in South Dakota U.S. Attorney Ron Parsons Trump Administration drug policy cartel investigations South Dakota transnational criminal organizations drug trafficking South Dakota fentanyl vs. meth South Dakota federal prosecutions South Dakota law enforcement cooperation South Dakota Mitchell Now crime news

South Dakota U.S. Attorney Ron Parsons says methamphetamine remains the state’s most pressing drug problem as federal prosecutors intensify efforts to dismantle cartels and criminal networks tied to the drug trade.

2 days ago in Business, Government, Local

Small Business Saturday Encourages Shoppers to Support Local Stores This Weekend

Small Business Saturday Shop Small local holiday shopping American Express Shop Small small business support South Dakota local retailers holiday season U.S. Small Business Administration small business incentives holiday shopping weekend Mitchell local businesses

Small Business Saturday returns this weekend, offering shoppers a chance to support locally owned businesses during the holiday shopping rush. The national initiative has generated more than $200 billion in small-business spending since 2010.