News

James Cameron confirms 3 more ‘Avatar’ sequels

James Cameron confirms 3 more ‘Avatar’ sequels

There will be 4 sequels to "Avatar" including the one James Cameron is currently shooting. Photo: Associated Press

James Cameron has thrilled “Avatar” fans by confirming there will be three sequels to the ground-breaking 2009 original.

The “Titanic” director has abandoned all his other movie projects to concentrate on creating follow-ups to the record-breaking smash hit, which became the highest-grossing film in Hollywood history with takings of $2.7 billion worldwide.

He has been shooting deep sea footage for a second “Avatar” film, which will be set underwater, and hinted earlier this year he could be tempted to make four films altogether.

Cameron has now announced his plans for a trilogy of sequels is set in stone, after coming up with a wealth of content during the production process.

He says, “Building upon the world we created with Avatar has been a rare and incredibly rewarding experience. In writing the new films, I’ve come to realise that Avatar’s world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, and it became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen.”

20th Century Fox chairman Jim Gianopoulos adds, “We at the studio have no higher priority, and can feel no greater joy, than enabling Jim to continue and expand his vision of the world of Avatar. The growing breadth and scale of Jim Cameron’s plans for his magnificent fantasy worlds continue to amaze us all.”

The three films will be shot simultaneously, and will hit cinemas in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."