News

Unknown actress is frontrunner for female ‘Star Wars’ lead

Unknown actress is frontrunner for female ‘Star Wars’ lead

The new lead in the next star wars film, an unknown actress shall be. Photo: Associated Press/AP Photo/Keith Hamshere

British acting newcomer Maisie Richardson-Sellers has become the frontrunner to take on a leading role in the highly-anticipated Star Wars sequel, according to multiple reports.

The stage actress is allegedly preparing to make her movie debut in J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: Episode VII as a descendant of Obi-Wan Kenobi, a character previously played onscreen by Sir Alec Guinness in the original trilogy and Ewan McGregor in the prequel films.

Casting details for the forthcoming sci-fi movie, which has already begun production, have been shrouded in secrecy, but Girls star Adam Driver is said to be portraying the lead villain, while fellow newcomers Jesse Plemons, John Boyega, Ed Speleers and Matthew James Thomas have also been linked to key roles in the project, and Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o, Saoirse Ronan and Michael B. Jordan have all met with Abrams to discuss parts.

The news of Richardson-Sellers’ involvement in the new Star Wars film comes days after towering Brit Peter Mayhew was confirmed to reprise his role as Chewbacca. Veteran actress Carrie Fisher will also return as Princess Leia, although it is still unclear if Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill will join the original reunion in their roles as Han Solo and Luke Skywalker.

The latest Star Wars epic is scheduled for release in December, 2015.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Dec. 19

dolly

A look back at some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.