News

Tiger ends 4-year alliance with coach Foley

Tiger ends 4-year alliance with coach Foley

TIGER WOODS: The former world No. 1 is sidelined with a back injury and does not plan to play again until his World Challenge tournament in Florida in December. Photo: Associated Press

By Simon Evans

MIAMI (Reuters) – Tiger Woods has split up with swing coach Sean Foley after a four-year partnership, the 14-times golf major winner said on Monday.

The former world number one is sidelined with a back injury and does not plan to play again until his World Challenge tournament in Florida in December.

“I’d like to thank Sean for his help as my coach and for his friendship,” Woods told his official website (www.tigerwoods.com).

“Sean is one of the outstanding coaches in golf today and I know he will continue to be successful with the players working with him.

“With my next tournament not until my World Challenge event at Isleworth in Orlando, this is the right time to end our professional relationship,” added the 38-year-old.

Woods previously worked with Hank Haney and Butch Harmon before joining forces with Foley in August 2010.

The coach controversially redesigned Woods’s swing but the American great has failed to win a major in their time together.

Foley coaches a number of top players including world number five Justin Rose and American Hunter Mahan, who won The Barclays tournament in New Jersey on Sunday.

“My time spent with Tiger is one of the highlights of my career so far and I am appreciative of the many experiences we shared together,” Foley said.

“It was a lifelong ambition of mine to teach the best player of all time in our sport. I am both grateful for the things we had the opportunity to learn from one another as well as the enduring friendship we have built.

“I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.”

Woods has not appointed a replacement and gave no clue about when he might make a choice.

“Presently I do not have a coach and there is no timetable for hiring one,” said the world number 12.

(Editing by Tony Jimenez)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

This weekend in entertainment history

rainman

A look back on some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in National

Amanda Knox murder conviction overturned

FILE - In this Jan. 31, 2014, file photo, Amanda Knox prepares to leave the set following a television interview in New York. Knox is engaged to Colin Sutherland, a musician who recently moved to Seattle from New York, a person close to the Knox family confirmed for The Associated Press. Knox’s murder conviction in the 2007 stabbing of her roommate has been reinstated by an Italian court, but the former college exchange student maintains her innocence and vows she won’t willingly go back to Italy. Both Knox and Sutherland are 27. No wedding date had been set.

Italy's highest court has overturned the murder conviction against Amanda Knox, bringing to a definitive end the high-profile case.

in National

Time for Iran to make tough decisions in nuclear talks

In this March 26, 2015, photo, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, center, leaves a meeting with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and other U.S. officials at a hotel in Lausanne, Switzerland. U.S. and Iranian diplomats gather at a Baroque palace in Europe, a historic nuclear agreement within reach. Over Iraq’s deserts, their militaries fight a common foe. Leaders in Washington and Tehran, capitals once a million miles from each other in ideological terms, wrestle for the first time in decades with the notion of a rapprochement.

Six world powers and Iran move closer to a deal, but there are still major disagreements.