News

Paramount apologizes for ‘Ninja Turtle’ 9/11 tweet

Paramount apologizes for ‘Ninja Turtle’ 9/11 tweet

HEROES IN A HALF-SHELL:This photo released by ILM/Paramount Pictures shows a scene from the film, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." The movie releases in the U.S. on Aug. 8. Photo: Associated Press

SYDNEY (Reuters) – Paramount Pictures film studio apologized on Wednesday for a poster for its upcoming film “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” showing the four characters jumping down from an exploding skyscraper underscored with a Sept. 11 release date.

The poster went out in a tweet posted by the Australian Paramount Pictures Twitter account and also appeared on its official Facebook page, which has more than six million fans.

Both posts received a barrage of criticism and were deleted, though some screenshots were still being shared on social media.

“We are deeply sorry to have used that artwork for the marketing materials promoting the Sept. 11 opening in Australia,” Paramount Pictures Australia said in an emailed statement to Reuters.

“Combining that image and date was a mistake. We intended no offense and have taken immediate action to discontinue its use.”

The live-action reboot, starring Megan Fox and Johnny Knoxville and produced by “Transformers” director Michael Bay is due for release on Aug. 8 in the United States.

In Australia it will be released on Sept. 11, the thirteenth anniversary of the al Qaeda militant attacks on U.S. cities and the destruction of the World Trade Center twin towers in New York.

(Reporting by Thuy Ong; Editing by Robert Birsel)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Dec. 19

dolly

A look back at some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.