News

NFL eliminates cap on player payments for concussions

NFL eliminates cap on player payments for concussions

CONCUSSIONS:Under the revised terms, funds will be available once the compensation program is set up to any retired player who develops certain neurocognitive conditions, including dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, according to a statement from the NFL. Photo: Associated Press

By Curtis Skinner

(Reuters) – The National Football League has agreed to eliminate the cap on monetary awards available to players who were part of a major lawsuit over concussions suffered on the field, the NFL said on Wednesday.

The lawsuit was settled between the U.S. league and thousands of former players last August at $765 million, but a federal judge hesitated to sign off on the deal because she worried it would not be enough money to pay all the affected players.

Under the revised terms, funds will be available once the compensation program is set up to any retired player who develops certain neurocognitive conditions, including dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, according to a statement from the NFL.

The new settlement was reached under the supervision of U.S. District Judge Anita Brody, who presided over the case and had expressed concerns about the settlement. Brody must still finalize the agreement, which was filed in the U.S. District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania for preliminary approval.

“This agreement will give retired players and their families immediate help if they suffer from a qualifying neurocognitive illness, and provide peace of mind to those who fear they may develop a condition in the future,” said Christopher Seeger and Sol Weiss, attorneys for the players, in a statement.

In addition, the agreement requires the NFL to pay for the costs of notifying injured players and administrating the settlement. The league will also set aside $10 million for education on concussion prevention.

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."