News

Harrison Ford hospitalized after ‘Star Wars’ set injury

Harrison Ford hospitalized after ‘Star Wars’ set injury

'STAR WARS:'Representatives say Harrison Ford's injury won't impact filming. Photo: Associated Press

(Reuters) – Actor Harrison Ford was injured on the set of “Star Wars: Episode VII” on Thursday and taken to a hospital for treatment, a Disney representative said.

Ford, 71, hurt his ankle while filming at Pinewood Studios, on the outskirts of London, Disney spokesman Paul Roeder said. Filming will continue on schedule while Ford recovers. The actor was taken to nearby John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Thames Valley Police said on its official Twitter feed that police responded to an incident where “a 71-year-old man was airlifted to hospital with injuries not believed to be life-threatening.” A second tweet said the mishap “is believed to have involved a garage door.”

Vanessa Davies, a unit publicist for the “Star Wars” film, said any reports that Ford suffered other injuries as well were untrue.

The actor is reprising his role as Han Solo in the highly anticipated Disney reboot of the “Star Wars” franchise, directed by J.J. Abrams and scheduled for release in December 2015.

It is the first of three new films that will continue the saga created by George Lucas, after Disney purchased Lucasfilm in 2012 for $4.05 billion.

The film’s plot has been kept a secret, but Abrams has said the cast will include Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis and Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o.

The movie is set 30 years after “Return of the Jedi.”

(Reporting by Piya Sinha-Roy in Los Angeles, Additional reporting by Edward Baran in London; Editing by Patricia Reaney and Gunna Dickson)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."