News

Death toll rises to 36 in Washington state mudslide

Death toll rises to 36 in Washington state mudslide

MUDSLIDE:Members of communities affected by the Oso mudslide participate a candlelight vigil at the Community Center in Darrington, Washington April 5. Photo: Reuters/Jason Redmond

(Reuters) – The death toll in a mudslide that buried much of a rural Washington state community last month rose to 36 on Wednesday after medical examiners extricated one more body from the rubble.

A rain-soaked hillside collapsed without warning above the north fork of the Stillaguamish River on March 22, unleashing a torrent of mud that engulfed some three dozen homes on the outskirts of the tiny community of Oso.

Of the 36 people confirmed dead, 32 have been positively identified including a 58-year-old man on Wednesday, Snohomish County officials said in a statement. The death toll had stood at 35 on Tuesday.

PHOTOS: Oso mudslide 

Recovery crews were still searching for another 10 missing people, including two children, down from 11 on Monday. Efforts have been hampered by rain, which has created treacherous conditions and raised the risk of further slides and flash floods.

President Barack Obama will stop in Oso on April 22 and plans to view the devastation and meet with families of those affected by the disaster, as well as first responders and recovery workers.

No one has been pulled alive from the rubble since the landslide, when at least eight people were injured but survived. Rescue teams have since found no signs of life.

(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Lisa Shumaker)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Fresh
Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."